Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beauty of God: Day 9 - There's Gotta Be More to This, Right?

I knew when I started this challenge, that not every day was gonna be, well, "beautiful."

So it's really no surprise that today was on it's own little roller coaster of goods and bads.

Even the weather didn't know what to do. One minute it's pouring down rain, the next it's sunny like nothin' ever happened.

My goal to wake up early every day this week and accomplish small priorities pretty much failed this morning. And it's only Tuesday, ha.
Actually, no, I did get some things done.
But not as much as I wanted to.

BUT, you know what's funny?
Like, really funny?

I should have seen this hard day coming.

Because my friend was texting me encouraging Bible verses, all about God being there with me, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", and all stuff that has to do with what's been going on in my head lately. Even the little devotinal I read this morning (or was it afternoon?) tied in to the past few days.
So, I should have known that today was gonna be one of those "tests", to see whose truth I was gonna stand on today.

But no, instead of giving it all to God in the first place, I let all the little things bother me.

I let fatigue and headaches in.
Little frustrations, like vacuuming, suddenly were huge obstacles (in my defence, the vacuum cleaner I use is from hell, and I'm ready to send it back where it belongs).
Instead of graciously cleaning up other peoples' messes, I'm grudgingly wiping up coffee stains and emptying liquid-filled trash cans (because no one thinks to dump their drinks out in a sink).
I mean, it's my job (Jimmy Buffet...?) "...to be cleaning up this mess." So I shouldn't be pitching a fit like a little 5 year old. If there weren't messy people in the world, I wouldn't have a job.

Ok, so all that to say, today was frustrating.

But it doesn't mean that I totally "forgot" those Bible verses sent to me, or even the little "devotional" I read today. Which, to be honest, kinda frustrates me even more, because I feel like I failed God big time.

But...there's a point to all of this.

To say it simply, it'll build character.

To go more in depth, God has gone before me, preparing the path ahead to a destination He ordained.
And He's preparing me to reach that destination.
So, it kinda makes sense, albeit in a flustering kind of way, that He allows these trials in our lives.

If you really think about it, what kind of God would we be serving who didn't care enough to allow character to be built in us? In short, He wouldn't be much of a God at all. Not a caring Father like He is.

He wants us to grow, not stay stuck in the same place. That's why He not only calls us out of sin, but on a journey with Him. The path is going to have obstacles, and the more I learn how to get over them now, the less frustrating they'll be in the future (hopefully).

So, all that to say, as tiring and irksome as the day was, I am still able to get something out of it. That's got to count for something, right?

The work God does within the trials we face is beautiful. It's His way of making a mess into a masterpiece.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS was absolutely beautiful- thank you for such inspiration!You are doing a great job, Jenz!